Monday, August 2, 2010

Even more on the CE mark

James from MinionGames.com implies, in response to my question over at BGDF.com, that the CE mark isn't a big deal.  I think I still need to do some research to make sure I meet the standards for card games, but I don't need to prove that independently to somebody in Europe, at least not until I get called on it by somebody over there.  So, my current understanding is, if I can figure out the standards for games, and figure out if I meet them, and do any requisite testing myself, then I can assert that I meet the standards and put the CE mark on without filing anything with a government agency.

Sound right?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dave,

    From my own limited understanding of the CE mark you and James are right, and that provided you can demonstrate you took care to meet the CE guidelines then your set, and that there is no formal testing regime necessary for every product.

    For the UK (and possibly other parts of Europe too), another aspect of health and safety law is the requirement to add a 'Not suitable for children under 36 months because of small parts' disclaimer (I believe either in text or as a little icon), specifically because anything designed for younger children *does* require a much more stringent testing regime. There's also the need (and again I think this is a legal requirement in the UK at least) for packaging to have an postal address for the company/individual selling the product. It is common on the packaging of toys and games imported in the UK to see stickers applied by the UK importer with an address on them, and sometimes the 36 months disclaimer also, I think. The stickers imply that the same requirements are not necessary in some other territories, but are a legal requirement for sale in the UK.

    Not sure if that's either helpful or surprising to you(!), but it's something to bear in mind.

    Keep up the good work, and the blog!

    Cheers, Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I don't think kids could necessarily choke on a deck of cards, but it would be better to have the warning on there regardless, since I don't think they could reasonably play the game, and avoiding unnecessary testing is good.

    ReplyDelete