Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kickstarter

I've talked about several games that have used Kickstarter to raise funds (see here, here, and here), and (to my surprise) they've been successful.

Others are getting into the act, reports the Purple Pawn, and it's not apparently all roses and sunshine.  Some of the game projects they list are way below their targets, even as they approach their target dates.  I think for Kickstarter to work, you have to have a network of folks who are willing to get you started, and who know a bunch of other people who might be willing to contribute to the friend of a friend. Being willing to set a lower goal for funding is important, too, since Kickstarter only pays out if you surpass your goal.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, wanted to let you know about another alternative: IndieGoGo. They will let you keep what you raise if it is less than your goal, but at a higher % fee (9% vs. 4% if you meet your goal). Also doesn't seem as flooded with TGC projects as KickStarter.

    I've been totally inspired and awed by your methodical analysis of how to go about publishing your game...but based on some recent inspiration (see my blog) I threw caution to the wind and started my funding project: http://www.indiegogo.com/Virtue-Cards

    Maybe you can use my experience as a (hopefully good) data point. :)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete